About

This is the official blog for Medical Student Association (MESTA) of University Teknologi Mara (UiTM).

Friday 21 December 2012

The KingPin (new)


Hye ..Assalamualaikum…and Hello Readers. ..!  :D

A lot of Medicine stuffs to learn, right. Fuhh~  Breathless. Study, study, study and study but do you ever wonder who discovered ALL of these ‘stuffs’ ? I bet the answer is no. Well, me too. Hehe. :D  
So, here is some useful information that I would like to share.. about our KINGS of medicine -  the people who had discovered ALL about what we learn today. Kings of Medicine ? Who ? Ok, have you ever heard of these name … Avicenna? Or Hippocrates ? I bet yes. But, do you know what did they contribute in medicine ? ?

Oh, yes, welcome to our new segment ; The King Pin ! It’s not compulsory but if you have some leisure times, feel free to spend it here. J

Before I start my real The King Pin session, I would like to show you something. Something that I think we should know first before we know them. I made it myself. But, don’t worry. It’s all based on my readings – published book, text books, and also our beloved fellow Wikipedia.
I present to you. Taraaa…



I’d love histories especially when they’re related to our Prophets. But I’m not a historians though, so I started my timeline with the most well-known ancient kingdoms, which are the Ancient Greece (Unani) and Egypt. I didn’t put the dates for before C.E because it is THOUSANDS and even MILLIONS you know. Whoaa~  I just skip that. I hope that’s okay. My handmade timeline is just a summary of our world’s history. For more details, please read somewhere else. :P

The reason why I started with the Ancient Greece and Egypt is their contributions in medicine are the oldest, since before Common Era. In this time, people believed that all illnesses are because of mystical power. However, Hippocrates (the Greek physician) disagreed and believed that the illnesses occurred naturally. Hippocrates and later Galen (the Persian physician) studied medicine at the temple of Amenhotep (Egypt). And Avicenna, from Umayyad Empire, continued the teachings from them with a lot of his additional scientific information. Finally, from the mystical beliefs, it becomes scientific based medicine.

So, readers, I mentioned some of them. Hippocrates, Galen, Avicenna…more and more…Who are they ? I will share about them later.  Check out this segment to know more about our HERO of MEDICINE in THE KING PIN !  

Thank you for reading. J
By. MsJagger.




REFERENCE :
1.       Nik Hassan Shuhaimi bin Nik Abdul Rahman, Muhd Yusof Bin Ibrahim, Muhammad Bukhari bin Ahmad, Rosnanaini binti Sulaiman. Sejarah Tingkatan 4. Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka. 2010.
2.       Abdul Latip Talib. Sultan Muhammad Al-Fateh Penakluk Konstantinopel. PTS Litera Utama SDN. BHD. 2008
3.       Wikipedia – Ancient China, Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt, The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), Khulafa’ Ar-Rasyidin, Umayyad Caliphate, Abbasid Caliphate, Ottoman Caliphate, Hippocrates, Avicenna.

2 comments:

Assalamualaikum.

You know, some country banned wikipedia because it is editable and some sources are incorrect. It is always a good chance to not use wiki. =)

Other than that, u have my hat off. Never seen a medic-based loves history. Or is it a historian who loves medicine? =)

Looking forward for your articles.

Post a Comment